Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Rhapsody in Gray

As someone who peruses the Houston real estate listings religiously, I often wonder why I bother.    99.9999 percent of the listings are not worth the time it takes to open the browser.  Do that many people really live with absolutely no style at all?   I suppose so judging by the houses for sale not just here, but in every city.   This must be why we are all so banded together – design blog readers definitely have an appreciation and love of good design.   That’s why when a beautiful house comes on the market, I usually post it here – so you can enjoy it with me!   Today a new listing in West University came on HAR and it really caught my eye:  seagrass, linen, slipcovers – you know the drill.  The agent is Sharon Ballas, the same one who hosted the wonderful antique sale on Virginia Street here.   So, enjoy a pretty house with your morning coffee while I’m poring over photographs from Lauren Ross’ Austin house to show you tomorrow, I hope!    For more information on this house for sale, the listing is here.

 

image

Built in 1994, updated last year, white stucco, three car garage – which is a true rarity for West University!

 

 image

The arched, gray painted front doors mimic the arches that lead into the dining and living rooms.

 

image

The living room is my favorite combination of linen and slips and seagrass (LISS – my new acronym or is SLIS better?).   The living room and dining room were decorated by – guess who?

 

image

I really like the skirted buffet with its banded trim and the French chairs.  Did you guess Ginger Barber?   Yep, she designed the two front rooms. 

 

image

Brett Duhon of Foxglove designed the rest of the house.  I like to look at the family rooms in West University houses because they always have the same basic layout  (like mine, in other words) and I like to see how other people arrange their furniture.   Here, the two large arm chairs divide the room – I like that.   Foxglove sells wonderful upholstered furniture and great accessories.   They have two stores, both on West Alabama.  

 

image The kitchen and breakfast area.  I love those barley twist bar stools.   This house looks brand new to me, but it is actually 15 years old. 

 

 

image The breakfast room has a wonderful antique buffet with a shelf hanging above it.  This is a great way to get the look of the breakfront if you just have a buffet – add a hanging shelf!

 

 

 

image

Upstairs is a cute vignette on the landing – a painted drop leaf table with an ottoman underneath it.  Notice how the lamp is on!  I always keep my lamps on during the day – I think it warms up the house and makes it look much cozier than using overhead light.   But – the best part is the wall to wall seagrass.    So much less expensive than wall to wall carpet – and so much better looking!   Love it.

 

image

Cute master bedroom with a fireplace.  

 

 

image

Slipcovered linen headboard and dust ruffle in the guest room.    Seagrass and linen always looks so clean and chic.

 

 

image

The office has a wonderful desk – love that! 

 

 

image

Now this is really something – a putting green in West University!  That is a first, I think.   The owner must be a huge golfer.

 

image

There’s even a rooting section to watch the golfers from!   To contact Sharon Ballas about the listing, go here.

News from Cote de Texas:

image

After I posted this picture and said I had no idea where these lamp shades were from, I got a call from Watkins Culver.  These shades came from Watkins and the good news is they have ordered a new shipment which should be in the store shortly! 

 

Be sure to come back tomorrow to read all about Lauren Ross’ beautiful house in Austin, that is if I get finished with the article!  I’m trying!!!!